Thursday, July 1, 2010

It's about damn time!

I know, I know! It's been a long time since I've blogged about the monsters progress! Well here goes nothing!
Lately we have been working on a new training method for me. We've been learning the touch stick method. Thanks to our friend Colleen from X flyball for help with this new method.
Step one of this method getting the dog to touch the end of the stick with their nose, this can be done by clicking or shaping the puppy. To start, when the puppy goes to touch the bottom of the stick you mark and treat it. Too start you can use food and slowly progress to using the tug as the sole reward. Once they learn to touch the stick, it is the beginning of there fabulous box turn.
Rave's first session of touch stick was funny! It was almost like the stick was alive, anytime she would step foot in the room and i touched the stick she would bark and run away! Silly girl! By the end of the session I was holding the stick and she was driving to it! It's all about baby steps! We will be working slowly on this. No need to rush perfection :) Each time i get out the touch stick I want her to play even more than the last time! So we are doing very short exciting sessions. I am trying to video a good session of this so i can post it. Once i find one that shows each step i will post it!
Happy Training!

No comments:

Post a Comment