Tuesday, June 15, 2010

In the process of creating a monster!

So in order to build Miss Rave's tug drive i have started to create a monster! By playing fun tug games with her i have really got her to come out of her tugless shell....

One game she has come to LOVE! is the push away game. I think she may love it a little to much. Here is how to play the game:

To start the game I put a pair of winter and sit on the floor. If I'm playing with a new and easily distracted puppy i will put them on leash and tuck it under my leg so they can't leave me. Starting with a new puppy i just use my glove as the tug, quickly after they enjoy the glove i start to work in the tug as the best thing. To get the puppy engaged, i start by slapping my hand on the floor a few times moving it from side to side. When the puppy starts to go after my hand i will push them back to make them drive to my hand that's moving. This becomes very fun for both of us. When they catch my hand i will hit there sides and make a hissing noise. Once they understand to chase the glove that is when I add the tug. When the puppy is a little bigger i will push the puppy away and then take off running the opposite way and have them run after me for the tug. I think this helps the puppy understand the game of the recall and the importance of tug work.

Doing this with Rave has been a little more challenging, she is older and understands the game, but doesn't want to really play, also has a pretty good bite to have her going after my hand. So we've modified the game a little, this is where the monster part comes in. I started the game sitting on the couch with her at my feet. By pushing her away and slapping her sides she has become really into the game. So now when i push her back she starts to lunge back at me, showing a good amount of drive.... this works really well but now she things the game is to lunge at my face. I haven't found a way to work the tug into this yet. hmmmm i learn something new every day! I will keep you posted on her progress with that, maybe a video of her playing the game.

Here are her recalls from practice this past weekend! ENJOY!

Okay off to work.... I will finish posting videos when i get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment