Friday, May 7, 2010

to tug.... or not to tug!!!

I love a dog that tugs! I don't care if you tug on a piece of rope, or if you tug on my sweatshirt sleeve... I have to have a dog that tugs.... I can't handle bringing stinky... icky... cookies everywhere I go. There is nothing worse to me than going out to dinner after a long day of flyball, and not only are you sweaty and gross, but the pockets of your pants are soaked in grease stains because you had to haul around your cheese sticks so your dog would get a reward... This is not to harp on the people that like food as a reward, its just not for me. I am not one to run backwards shaking a bag of cookies at my dog running back to me yelling.... cookies, cookies, cookies! Give me a crusty, stinky, slimy tug to put around my neck any day.

My puppies start out tugging the day I get them! We play tug games all day long, until they love the tug as much as I do. In my mind, every dog should tug. Why wouldn't you like to tug, go ahead and put this crusty piece of fleece in your mouth, bite down, and growl! Sounds like fun to me! In my mind the tug is like an extension of my arm. I always know where my dog is, I am always having interaction with my dog and its a piece of transportation.... who needs a leash, when your dog tugs! And is tugging such a bad thing? too much tugging? No, never! Well, maybe... How about when you can't get the tug out of your dogs mouth and everyone is waiting on you.... screaming, yelling, trying to pry there jaws open or holding them upside down, nothing helps. There has to be a fine line I guess. So what happens when your dog doesn't want to tug?

Rave and I spent the week house sitting for 4 wild poodles. This made Rave CRAZY!!!! She loved all the other dogs... plenty of herding opportunities... also plenty of time to blow me off... so naughty! She has now decided that its only fun to tug with the other dogs, not me. WHAT?!? No Ma'am! So now what... square one?! Do I let her continue to tug with the other dogs? At least she's tugging, right? Hmmmmm... I decided to just put up all the tugging toys, now she would rather lick my face than tug on anything I show her... go figure!

So starting my puppy tugging at 6 months... We busted out the old winter gloves... Here goes nothing!!

Off for another tugging session!!! Keep you posted!

Lynds and Rave

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with that and if you find anything that gets her to tug, let me know. Krave is on and off..sometimes she loves it, sometimes she'd rather have the stinky treats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain - went thru that with VooDoo, but he came around

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mecanix gloves are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wixer's still keen on tugging (thank heaven - I'm hoping Bleys will be my one and only ever treat dog). He's making the tug nice and bloody at the moment with the teething, but he still loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Bev, that is very interesting that you say VooDoo did that as he is Rave's uncle. I was telling Lyndy that she is my first BC that didn't readily tug and both of her parents are tugging maniacs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excited to keep upto date with your blog - will give me lots of ideas for my border whippet puppy Fly! :)

    ReplyDelete